Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cape Cross Seal Colony

We left from Swakopmund heading north to Cape Cross after some final errands. On the road by 9, we arrived at Namibia's largest seal colony - sporting a population of 210,000 seals. Dats'a'lot'a'seals. They give birth in December, so there we got to look at all'za'babees. Some of them would be sleeping alone way out in the desert. The scale of the colony was amazing. My favourite was the sounds of the babies barking.

A few babies were sleeping alone up on the sand so I crept up slowly for a picture. I inevitably woke it up. I would stare at me for way longer than you'd expect for a well-adapted animal; then just freak-out barking and sprinting towards the colony. I felt like a monster, but it was really really adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment