Saturday, January 9, 2010

Status Update: Kenn in Africa

Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Status: Glad to not be on a plane
Dysentery: No

Took the Tube into London for a little walk about. Made it back to the airport with good time to spare (3 hours) plus I thought I was in the wrong time zone (+2 hours) plus flight was delayed (+5 hours) plus it was snowing (+2 hours on tarmac). Missed my connection in Johannesburg and spent some time wandering around. Weaseled my way out of a 300 rand booking fare to change the flight, and then had to sprint through the entire airport to catch the new plane. Last person on. W00!

Got to Windhoek, 45 km taxi ride into the city. Settled in at a nice little hostel with a pool. Met some construction workers and went for a pint and chicken sandwich. Saw some stuff. Not much to Windhoek, I think I'll head to the coast.


Sunday Update: Major jet lag - I was in bed by like 8pm but wide awake at 3am until morning. Translate that into London time and I pretty much slept from 3am to 10am ... just like everyday. Old habits, I guess.

I met a girl on the plane and she's invited me up to her cattle ranch in the Caprivi Strip (the part of Namibia which is sandwiched between Botswana and Zambia), and the construction workers invited me to come check out their fish farm up there also. I really can make friends!! I'm wandering around Windhoek with a girl from the hostel on her last week of a 6 month tour in southern Africa. She's teaching me some of the ropes as we explore the city together.

3 comments:

  1. Sprinting and weaseling and having a pint! Sounds like a good start.

    anonymous is really yer London folks

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, that won't make sense - the post said anonymous was posting the comment hence my need to identify myself - noob at this - we'll get better

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds awesome ken!! hope your staying away from the tree climbing lions

    ReplyDelete