Friday, January 22, 2010

Maun, Botswana

I'm in Maun, central Botswana. Hitch-hiking is the only way to travel. Ironically, a Ministry of Tourism vehicle was the first to offer us a lift. Many stories to follow, but it's 2am and I'm sitting under a bright light right beside a swamp - the mosquitos are crazy. I elaborate more later.

Jo and I have arranged an overnight canoe trip up the Boru River into the Okavango Delta starting tomorrow at 9am. Camping in the swamp! Will post an update again on Monday.


Edit:
  1. With the Englishman and Irishman from Rundu to Divindu
  2. Ministry of Namibian Tourism from Divindu to Muangu National Park
  3. Semi-Truck hauling stone across Botswana border to highway junction south
  4. Eight of us in the back of a pickup to Sepupa.
  5. Overnight in Sepupa at "The Swamp Stop". 3km hike.
  6. Ministry of Botswana Education from Sepupa to Gemare
  7. Semi-Truck hauling scrap from Gemare to Maun
It's really comfortable and casual and it's how the locals get around, so you sometimes travel all day with the same people. People are very willing to give a lift for free or for the price to share petrol. I've only felt in danger once when the Ministry of Education vehicle drove 150 km/h on a dirt road.

2 comments:

  1. wow!!! sounds pretty awesome so far, monsieur sippell!

    keep the blogs going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... wow... wow. I should have quit my job and went with you when I have the chance.

    Sounds like an amazing adventure.

    Carney (Mark not Jess)

    ReplyDelete