Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Swakopmund - Namibia's Atlantic Coast

I borrowed a power adapter from a man in a bar last night to write yesterday's blog post. Turns out that man was my dorm-mate Rapheal - an avid traveler and photographer. We hit it off and spent today together.

First stop - Namib desert. But sandboarding is out and quad-biking is in. We spent 2 hours ripping up and down the sand dunes - the roaring Atlantic to the right and the massive tangerine dunes to the left. Nice. I've got a video but don't know how to share it.

I'm on the Northern edge of the Namib. It rarely rains (obviously) but life thrives just north of here where large quantities of fog blow inland every morning. The condensation from the fog supports a surprisingly large amount of life from lichens to large mammals (even elephants and lions). I'm living BCC's Planet Earth.


As expected, I am approached frequently by people selling things on the street. This is normal everwhere I've been - but there is an African twist here. Sellers begin with a hand shake, but then continue to hold your hand as you walk or talk together. It feels awkward to refuse a handshake, and then even more awkward to pull your hand away - so I feel quite bound to the conversations once they start. Sellers take their time to ask about you, especially the women in your life - and then the seller's companion standing nearby (so the seller doesn't have to let go of your hand) enscribes your mother's name into a hand carved souvenir. How can you not buy the $1 hand carved trinket. Very effective. Happy Birthday, Mom.

Sometimes the conversations end up being quite rewarding. Today I got a lesson in making the four distinct clicking noises !, //, /', and = of the Xhosa tribe (the X makes a deep flemmy throat noise like you're prepping to spit). He taught me how to pronounce the words for both male and female genetalia: xoa and /'uea.

I spent the afternoon in Swakopmund's museum, Crystle Gallery, the Atlantic ocean, and various shops. Great day. This place is so German!

I saw an albino African too.

2 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!

    love the picture! where's the gin and tonic, you khaki wearing british imperialist you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing Kenn! I'm really enjoying reading your posts and check for new ones everyday. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you. Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete